HOME MADE EXPLOSIVES JOINT SERVICE EOD COURSE
CEODD CONTRACTED COI / OPEN TO ALL SERVICES | CIN: A-431-0210
AEODTC (AIEDD) NAVSCOLEOD, EGLIN AFB
Home Made Explosives Joint Service EOD (HME JSEOD) Course training session topics:
- Threat assessment (conventional/HME)
- Dynamic defeat techniques
- Principles of HME production
- HME detection/colorimetric ID/spectroscopy
- HME desensitization and sampling techniques
- Field ID for precursor chemicals and chemical compatibility
- Precursor production (CAN, nitric acid and peroxide, hexamine)
- Monocellular HME (urea nitrate, R-salt, TATP, HMTD, NG, ETN)
- Binary HME (HPOM and chlorate-based HME, Armstrong’s mix, AN-based HME, nitromethane)
- Dynamic disruption against sensitive energetic targets
- Site exploitation
Detailed course description below.
Course dates available:
Oct 31–Nov 4, 2022
Nov 14-18, 2022
Dec 5-9, 2022
Jan 23-27, 2023
Feb 13-17, 2023
Mar 13-17, 2023
Mar 27-31, 2023
Training days: Monday through Friday, 0800-1700.
Detailed HME JESOD Course Course description:
The Homemade Explosives (HME) Joint Service EOD Course is a five-day, 40-hour operator-oriented course consisting of eight modules of instruction including threat assessment considerations for homemade explosives, dynamic defeat techniques and tools, principles of HME production, primary and secondary HME, and improvised detonators, HME detection and ID, HME desensitization, HME practical lab, and HME site exploitation. The classroom topics are followed by technical training events that reinforce classroom instruction.
The majority of the course is dedicated to practical learning where small quantities of HME are made from precursor chemicals in a field laboratory environment, to include:
- HMTD and TATP,
- Simple hammer and flame tests are used to test and evaluate the sensitivity of five milligram quantities of primary and secondary explosives,
- Armstrong’s mix is discussed and demonstrated,
- Two key precursor materials, nitric acid and hexamine are produced,
- Ammonium nitrate is extracted from calcium ammonium nitrate (CAN),
- Urea nitrate (UN), cyclotrimethylenetrinitramine (R-salt), erythritol tetranitrate (ETN) and nitroglycerine (NG) are also synthesized and detonated,
- Binary explosives including ammonium nitrate-based, chlorate-based, concentrated hydrogen peroxide organic material (HPOM), and nitromethane based charges are produced and detonated.
All detonations take place using a steel witness plate deformation approach to provide visual characterization of the type of explosive and to analyze post blast characteristics.
Catalog of Navy Training Courses (CANTRAC)
Corporate Enterprise Training Activity Resource Systems (CeTARS)
MCTIMS (available soon)
Note: No cost for course seat.
Currently, student’s command is responsible for all associated travel costs.
Travel days: Sunday arrival and Saturday departure.
Recommend lodging: Utilize the Niceville / Valparaiso area. Multiple new and upgraded hotels to include Marriot TownPlace Suites, True by Hilton, Holiday Inn Express, Comfort Inn Suites, and Best Western.
(AEODTC is in a remote location and dining facilities are not available. Students must provide their own lunches daily.)
Contact us with any questions:
Email: email@example.com or use our contact form.